BTEC HND Electrical/Electronic Engineering
Students are expected to attend college one day and/or evening per week.
The HND programme team uses a combination of traditional classroom teaching, open learning and research-based experiential learning, delivered via laboratory experiments and demonstrations, industry standard IT applications and group activities.
Students bring with them a wealth of experience and knowledge which is fully utilised by the programme team. Many assignments are based around students own work environment and this has been implemented through regular liaison with employers to allow you to access and use non-confidential data and documents from the workplace.
Possible Units offered:
- Analytical Methods for Engineers
- Engineering Science
- Project Design, Implementation and Evaluation
- Electrical and Electronic Principles
- Programmable Logic Controllers
- Engineering Design
- Electronic Principles
- Electrical, Electronic and Digital Principles
- Applications of Power Electronics
- Quality Assurance and Management or Further Analytical Methods
- Research Project
- Instrumentation and Control Principles
- Electronic CAD
- Business Improvement Techniques
- Electrical and Electronic Principles (Level 3)
- Further Maths for Technicians (Level 3)
Applicants should one of the following :
- BTEC National Certificate
- Diploma in Electrical Engineering
- One A level in either Mathematics or Physics plus four GCSEs at either grades A*-C or grade five and above
- Access programme
- GNVQ Advanced Level in Engineering
- Advanced Diploma in Engineering
Minimum grades apply, please ask for details.
The HND qualifications offered from September 2011 are new versions introduced by BTEC. As a result, anyone wanting to accredit prior learning is advised to discuss this at interview.
Mature students with a relevant industrial background may also be considered subject to interview.
Applications from students whose first language is not English are welcome. We require evidence of proficiency in English (including writing, speaking, listening and reading), the required minimum is:
- IELTS (SELT): 6.0 overall (minimum 5.5 in all components)
- Or GCSE English A*-C
- Or equivalent qualification. Please contact the Advice Shop for advice and guidance
International candidates are also actively encouraged to access the International Students webpage.
This programme is designed for Technicians working in Electrical/Electronic Engineering or Maintenance. It extends the knowledge of those who have achieved a BTEC National Certificate/Diploma Engineering qualification. It could be used as an intermediate step towards an Engineering degree programme.
This programme develops your knowledge, understanding, skills and awareness necessary to provide you with the potential to progress to technical, supervisory and managerial positions in electronic or electrical engineering.
The programme is assessed by a mixture of assignments and project work.
The BTEC (Edexcel) HND programme is widely recognised by employers and professional bodies.
The UEA, in partnership with the College, has developed a bridging programme progression route for holders of the BTEC HND.
The course will equip you with the skills and knowledge needed for a variety of interesting and rewarding careers in engineering.