QAA Higher Education Review
Higher Education Review is the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education's (QAA's) review method for all subscribers in England and Northern Ireland, as well as for providers with access to funding from the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) who are not subscribers to QAA.
The overall aim of Higher Education Review is to inform students and the wider public whether a provider meets the expectations of the higher education sector for:
A. the setting and/or maintenance of academic standards,
B. the provision of learning opportunities,
C. the provision of information,
D. the enhancement of the quality of students' learning opportunities.
Thus, Higher Education Review serves the twin purposes of providing accountability to students and others with an interest in higher education, while at the same time encouraging improvement.
Higher Education Review:
- Is a flexible, risk-based method which applies the greatest scrutiny where it is most needed
- Is carried out by peer reviewers - staff and students from other providers
- Places students at the heart of the review
Thorough evaluation of the institution's educational provision and results in a published report that makes judgments and recommendations about academic standards and quality, as well as highlighting good practice. The outcome is very important in terms of confirming the quality and standards of teaching and learning activities. It also provides a valuable opportunity for institutions to gain insights and feedback from the independent QAA team.
City College Norwich underwent Higher Education Review in December 2014. The Higher Education Review report for City College Norwich can be found on the QAA's website.
In the four areas where formal judgments are given, the QAA review team formed the following judgements about the higher education provision at City College Norwich:
- The maintenance of the academic standards of awards offered on behalf of its degree-awarding bodies and other awarding organisations meets UK expectations.
- The quality of student learning opportunities meets UK expectations.
- The quality of the information about learning opportunities meets UK expectations.
- The enhancement of student learning opportunities requires improvement to meet UK expectations.
- As a result of this judgement, City College Norwich proudly displays the QAA Quality Mark.